Click here to see the service that was streamed live on 17th May, the sixth Sunday after Easter.
Hymns, Songs, Readings and other links for 6th Sunday of Easter –
“Resurrection Hope” –
A Bible Study on the Importance of the Resurrection:
Luke’s Story of the First Easter – Luke 24:36-53
God’s Big Idea for the future of the world – Revelation 21:1-7 – Heaven coming to Earth – ‘the New Jerusalem’
Paul’s detailed understanding of what the Resurrection body looks like – 1Cor 15 – the whole chapter [although verses 42-49 are the key bit].
Set Readings for today:
Hymns and Songs:
Hopefully, something for everyone…
- “And can it be, that I should Gain” – Charles Wesley – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQeIGbKqiw8
- “Great is Thy Faithfulness” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNrtJsuEM8
- “Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of Creation” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCnQNwQG5GI
“Baba Yetu” – is a version of the Lord’s Prayer composed by Christopher Tin in Swahili – awesome
- A version with English Subtitles:
- My Favourite, because of the colour and vibrancy, is by the Stellenbosch University Choir (once such stronghold of Dutch Afrikans) – brilliant testimony to healing and God’s vision for the world – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCa8RxaOPW8
- “King of Kings” – Hillsong (most popular song this Easter) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9qHMDp3fz8
- “King of the World” – Natalie Grant (reminds us of the awesomeness of Jesus the Messiah and yet how small we can try and make Him) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4abPZpn4H-g
- “WayMaker” – now has become a classic – here sung by a Virtual Choir, which gives the lyrics added poignancy – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySEBiGxhUG8
- For a very personal take on what the resurrection means to him – see Tom Wright talking about the death of his father (its also one of the more accessible of his videos) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2rAGimw2hY
- For the breadth of what resurrection means and why its important – see Tom Wright in this five minute summary video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgiGB21LWmM
- And if you want to go more into depth – and really get to grips with some of his seminal work on the subject of Resurrection – see the Lecture at Baylers Truett Seminary ( 1hr 20 mins – well worth a watch) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GenlGUkZ-6Q
- Background – 8min Summary video on the most recent findings re the Turin Shroud/ Resurrection Cloth of Jesus – v interesting – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lMQlI32wE
- “Surprised by Hope” – by Tom Wright – this is his popular version of his seminal exploration of Resurrection and its implications.
- “Resurrection of the Son of God” – N T Wright – this is the Big One (runs to 860 pages) – Tom Wright’s now classic analysis of the Resurrection accounts and what it means – “hard going but worth every moment.”
- “The Case for Christ” – very good true account of a sceptic Journalist – Lee Stobel looking into the events of the Resurrection because his wife becomes a Christian. It changes his whole life. Available on DVD, and also on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Well worth a watch.