Day 19 – St. Columba
Day 18 – St. Petroc
Day 17 – St. Kevin
Day 16 – St. Melangell
Day 15 – St. Bede
Recorded live at 10.30am Sunday 2nd Auguat from St. Andrew’s, Banwell.
Hymns, Songs, Readings and other links for 8th Sunday of Trinity –
4th Sunday of Re-opening – A New Church for a New Society:
“Celebration of the Feast of the Transfiguration” (6th Aug)
Sunday 2nd August 2020
Key Bible Readings:
Matthew 17:1-13 read by Sarah Sims
1 Corinthians 13: Paul’s great message of Love
Set Readings for today:
Isaiah 55:1-5 – This most wonderful passage which talks about the Lord, Yeshua (Jesus) wine, milk, rich food and water without cost and of renewing the great Covenant with Israel and with all people.
Romans 9:1-5 – Paul begins a famous speech where he laments for his fellow Israelites who have received so much at the hands of God and yet who do not recognise the Mashiach – the Jewish name for the Messiah who Paul has come to see is none other than Yeshua (Jesus).
There is much hope however in modern times with the outreach work of “One for Israel,” a Jewish Christian group based in Israel and throughout the world – Jewish people speaking to their own brothers and sisters about their discovery of Jesus.
See https://www.oneforisrael.org/ where they have some amazing testimonies from fellow believers. Very inspirational especially around Isaiah 53, but also insightful into the cultural barriers for a Jewish person to become a Christian.
Matthew 14:13-21 – the great story of the Feeding of the Five Thousand – Jesus’ re-enactment Moses and the Exodus with the Manna from heaven and the Quail. Jesus is showing not just compassion for the people, important though that is, but also calling them into becoming a renewed people – people who would be ‘Israel’ to Israel and the world again, a people fit to proclaim and inhabit the Kingdom of God.
Hymns and Songs for 8th Sunday after Trinity:
1. “Oh worship the King, all glorious above” – Songs of Praise with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQygFycpvBA
2. “Immortal, invisible, God only wise” – Songs of Praise with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spE-BE23qxA
3. “Jesus is Lord, Creation’s voice proclaims it” – with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prEq8NOx3vs
4. “Be still for the presence of the Lord” – Aled Jones singing solo – captures very much the moment of the Transfiguration as if these were the words of Peter, James or John: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMaOxdu6B4
5. “Shine, Jesus, Shine” – by Graham Kendrick – Songs of Praise with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y13tGESE11Y
6. “Jesus is Lord” – by Stuart Townend and Keith Getty – with Lyrics – wonderful meaningful words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLJFpxOcGKk
7. “50 countries affected by CoVid 19 sing one song – Amazing Grace” – as played in Church: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7pdABvpnc&t=32s
– Version with Lyrics to sing along to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDdvReNKKuk
Great song to sing with Children:
8. “You shall go out with the joy” with Lyrics – based on Isaiah 55: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMkWGtkbMFU
Music for Reflection:
9. “Gabriel’s Oboe” played by Henrik Chaim Goldschmidt – became known as “The song from the film The Mission (1986)” – close your eyes and enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJhax7Jmxs
10. “Glory be to God” – Sounds of New Wine (just released July 2020 during Lockdown) – clever improvisation of screens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpF53DhhLLI
12. “Blinded by your Grace – Part 2” – by Stormzy – a re-work of the great hymn “Amazing Grace” by this South London artist (Live version at Glastonbury Festival 2019 – awesome, a mainstream international artist on Main Stage in front of 130,00 young people and millions at home professing his faith): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxsjQ967kV8
– The famous video from South London that made the song so well received: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPuj6UISMhs
– Lyrics version so you can sing along: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsxBrb_uXNg
Reflection on the contribution of Gospel and Soul Music:
Ties in with reference to “The Gospel according to Mica: the story of Gospel music through six songs” (BBC 4) – a must see. Songs include:
– Amazing Grace
– Go down Moses
– Precious Lord, take my hand
– Touch the hem of His garment
– O Happy Day
– Blinded by your Grace – Part 2
13. The Queen of Soul herself, Aretha Franklin sings “Higher Mountains” as part of her “Amazing Grace” concert in her Dad’s Baptist Church in Detroit (1972) – Awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT85ycZRyOE
14. “Oh Happy Day” – The Edwin Hawkins Singers (Remix of the Original using modern technology) Fabulous Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3R8eu12htg
15. “Precious Lord, take my hand” – Thomas Dorsey – true vintage Gospel – written within hours of learning both his wife and his baby child had passed away. Became a firm favourite of Dr Martin Luther King Jr – in fact requested by him on the morning the day that he was later assassinated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oVcgrbeByo
17. Moving Scene from “The Mission” (1986) featuring the song “Gabriel’s Oboe:” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui91q7Y9xPk
18. “Most recent research on the Turin Shroud” – shows how the Resurrection was an enormous explosion of UV light, not unlike a second “Big Bang” but this time in and through the Body of Jesus. May not be “proof” but very interesting not least because it shows how Science and Faith may indeed inform each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lMQlI32wE&t=37s
TV and Films:
BBC iPlayer – “The Gospel according to Mica: the story of Gospel Music in six songs” – with Mica Paris – excellent insight into the soul of Gospel Music and into the importance of Hope against the backdrop of injustice and the discrimination of racism.
“The Mission” (1986) – the story of the Gospel and the native American Indians of South America. Incredibly moving at many levels – based on a true story. Stars a young Jeremy Irons, Robert De Niro and Liam Nielsen. Available on DVD, Netflix and Amazon Prime.
And from last week:
For those who might be interested in learning more about the “Interior Life” – see talk given by Richard Rohr in Norwich Cathedral in 2015, “Becoming Stillness” – although an hour long, it is one of the best talks to help us understand why Prayer is both so valuable and so important: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TGS-JD80nE
Day 14 – St. Brendan the Navigator
and Hillsong’s Oceans – this version set to the magnificent ocean backdrop with dolphins
Throughout August we will be posting cooking videos as part of Prepare, Cook and Eat.
Every Saturday and Wednesday there will be 2 new recipes. So why not try cooking as a family.
There will be hard copies of the recipes available from Congar’s cafe in Congresbury and once all of the recipes are in, we will put together a little book of them all.
Special thanks to all those who have helped make all this possible
We want to make this available to everyone so if you need help with the ingredients please email email@example.com or pop into the Cafe and we will put together an ingredients package.
So here goes and I hope you enjoy – here are the first two recipes for meatballs and banana split,
Day 13 – St. Comgall
Rend Collective’s song ‘More than Conqueror’s, add a Christian historic link all the way back to St. Comgall and his idea of the freedom repentance can bring.