We will be streaming LIVE from Cadbury Hill on Thursday 13th May at 10.30am to our Facebook page for a special Ascension Day service. Please join us online here or catch up later on the website.
We will be leaving the car park at Cadbury Hill at 10am and it is a beautiful walk, although if you want to walk up there you may want to dress for wet weather as the forecast isn’t great.
After the service, we will be going to Heather’s Coffee Shop in Congresbury for a late breakfast/early lunch. Of course, due to social distancing we will be seated outside and cannot sit together, but it would be lovely to see you – if only from a distance!
Click here to see the service for Ascension Day that was live streamed from Cadbury Hill.
Hymns, Songs, Readings and other links for Ascension Day –
“A Day of Celebration: Seeing from God’s perspective:”
Set Readings for today:
Acts 1:1-11 – main story of the Ascension
Hymns and Songs for Ascension:
Hopefully, something for everyone…
1. “Crown Him with many Crowns” – Songs of Praise – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OCs0d_4vM
2. “All hail the power of Jesus’ name” – Songs of Praise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9voJsbicG9M
3. “Hail the day that sees Him rise” – Charles Wesley – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b_ODz_jgTs
4. “At the name of Jesus” – Songs of Praise special – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH0Yn5Unwh8&t=15s
Classics from the 80’s and 90’s:
5. “Lord, I lift your name on high” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqWEtfpTgo
6. “Shine, Jesus Shine” – Graham Kendrick – Songs of Praise – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y13tGESE11Y
– Also Live version of Graham Kendrick singing at Greenbelt 2013 – https://www.youtube.com/watch…
7. “Our God is an awesome God, He reigns” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2BXeZCDTgA
8. “What a beautiful name it is” – Hillsong – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUBBIddm_rM
9. “King of Kings” – Hillsong – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9qHMDp3fz8
10. “The Blessing” – this has been an amazing and wonderful phenomenon during this Lockdown with Christian artists and Choirs coming together across many nations of the world to ask God to bless their communities.
My favourite is from Zimbabwe because of the diversity of language and dialect, and that wonderful African spirit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA1tVs7VNcY&feature=youtu.be
Blessing for the UK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtll3mNj5U&t=217s
11. This may seem strange – but is a Jewish lady’s personal testimony to her own experience of heaven and of Jesus being at heaven’s very centre. It led to her conversion to Christianity – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vd583t4R60&feature=youtu.be
12. Tom Wright – talking about how, from very early on in Christianity, the only way to describe the enormity of who Jesus was and is (Ascension), is to see Him as part of who God is Himself – shows so much of the Biblical roots which are right there in the Old Testament – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DahXvRaV4E&feature=youtu.be
13. “Surprised by Hope” – by Tom Wright – this is his popular version of his seminal exploration of Resurrection and its implications.
Daniel 7: 9-14
Acts 1: 1-11
Luke 24: 44-end
Join us for a SPECIAL “Live Stream” Service – Ascension Day (Thurs 21st May at 10.30am) – Live from Cadbury Hill, Congresbury:
The Ascension of Jesus into heaven, is one of those festivals of the Church that waned somewhat in more recent years. That is until we started going up Cadbury Hill, first thing on Ascension Day morning – looking down over Congresbury and out to Banwell and praying for our communities, the Churches and breaking Bread together. It probably had nothing to do with the Full Cooked English Breakfast and glass of bubbly that followed at “Heathers Coffee Shop” after.
So, this year, undeterred, we are going to share an Agape meal again together, as we did the First Sunday after Easter. To celebrate an Agape on Ascension Day, you will need:
- Some Bread – this can be an ordinary bread around the house, or you may want to make some, pitta bread, roll, loaf, gluten free – great activity to do with others.
- Some grapes or fruit of some kind – whatever you have to hand.
- A glass of your favourite drink or a cup of water.
You may even want to organise some elevenses for afterwards.
Hope you can make it! Matt