Click here to see the video of the service that was live streamed at 10.30 am on Sunday 21st June.
Hymns, Songs, Readings and other links for 2nd Sunday of Trinity –
“A New Church for a New Age (Part 2):
the story of The Tabernacle/the Tent of Meeting in Exodus ch40 and the story of Jesus in John’s Gospel – the links and the re-interpretation all by the power of the Spirit – part of the focus for “40 Days on the Life and work of the Spirit” – by Jack Levison
Key Bible Reading:
Exodus ch 40 – the detailed description of the Tabernacle – The Tent of Meeting that the Israelites constructed in accordance to God’s word and then carried with them throughout their time in the wilderness wherever they were sent to go.
Made up of the three parts:
- God’s instruction to Moses (vs 1-16)
- Moses fulfilling what God had said to him (vs 17-33)
- God’s glory, in the form of a cloud, (vs 34-38) hovers over the Tent, day and night just as the Spirit hovered over the face of Creation in the beginning of time (Genesis ch1: vs2).
I AM Sayings of Jesus in John’s Gospel (and where to look them up):
I AM the Bread of Life – John 6:35
I AM the Light of the World – John 8:12
I AM the gate [door] for the Sheep – John 10:7 (repeated John 10:9)
I AM the Good Shepherd who lays down his life for the Sheep – John 10:11
I AM the Resurrection and the Life [Baptism] – John 11:25 and 26
I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me – John 14:6
I AM the true Vine. My Father is the Gardener – John 15:1 and 15:6 – I AM the Vine. You are the branches.
The importance of I AM sayings of God: See Exodus ch3 vs 14 – Moses and the Burning Bush (Exodus 3:1-14)
“I AM who I AM” -(‘Elohiym) or Elohiem within Hebrew tradition.
As there is no present tense as such in Hebrew grammar, a literal translation of this short but vitally important phrase is: “I am, I was, and I will be.”
Another aspect of the translation would be to say, “I AM, without equal.”
The Veil: At the very moment when Jesus died, according to Matthew’s Gospel, writing to a Jewish community possibly in Jerusalem, he says, “At that very moment the curtain of the Temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.” (Matt ch27 vs 51-52 – the Story of the Cross)
Hymns and Songs for 2nd Sunday after Trinity:
The key theme today is about God’s faithfulness to us, in Jesus and by the power of the Spirit, willing to meet with us wherever we are, and willing and longing to transform our lives, if we will but see.
- “Be Thou my Vision” – a tune and arrangement I haven’t heard before – sung by Hugh, Toby, and Ollie Davis (all three of Liz Chappell’s grandchildren in St Andrew’s Church, Congresbury yesterday) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXy2rBSZrU0&feature=youtu.be
- “Be Thou my Vision” – with lyrics so we can sing along – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY54pCBs-1o
- “You are my Vision” – Rend Collective – a modern upbeat Folk version – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQNczm45GyY
These three versions of the same song capture very much what we are looking at today as a working out of God’s Spirit. We can say, “we like this one,” or “that one.” But can we see how God loves all of them and blesses all His people through the same words over the centuries. Difference and diversity are something to be celebrated not constrained.
- “Before the Throne of God above” – although we had this last week, it perfectly describes this meeting place with the great Creator God – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsvV2AAfTz0
- “Come down, O Love divine” – a wonderful hymn calling upon the Holy Spirit – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXO4rqBQOAU
- “How deep the Father’s love for us” – Stuart Townend – that the Tabernacle/Place of Meeting in Jesus is at the Cross – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDGVl8D5UU
- “To be a Pilgrim” – God calls us to be a nomadic people – a people of the Way – taking our Tent of Meeting with us/in us – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVIM4_gan4E
- “Guide me O Thou great Jehovah” (Bread of Heaven) – picking up one of the great I AM sayings of Jesus – I am the Bread of Life – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofp6rdAgRrY
For Reflection or Meditation:
- “Pachebel’s Canon in D” – the Cello part in this well-known and much loved piece of music demonstrates the “Cantus Firmus” – the deep undertow and work of the Spirit in every generation – something we have looked at before and which lies at the heart not only of today’s passage, but can be seen in our world today – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es_3F3TLJS0
- “My Song is love unknown” – this is one of those hymns which it is worth pausing and letting the words speak to the heart and the soul of such love as this – the centre of Prayer and Praise – thinking of our Church Buildings opening up for Private Prayer again – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv7OZSoA22w
- “He still loves me” – Beyonce and Walter Williams – wonderful video telling us and the world that even when we don’t thin k we are good enough “He [God] still loves me” – just what the world needs to here at the moment – Thanks to Hayley and Charlotte Nottage in Banwell for this – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o1GCF5Xthc
- “Oh Happy Day” – from Sister Act 2 – when Ryan Toby discovers he too has a voice to praise God – great song – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXPoRnY3r10
- “The Lion and the Lamb” – Big Daddy Weave – picking up the theme of bending the knee – we kneel before the One who takes the pain and pride of the world to Himself out of love (Philippians 2:10) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xeLgkpcpM0
- “Lord I need you” – Chris Tomlin (65M views) a modern classic – speaking of our dependence upon God (our Tent) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rR_Rdb1CTE
- And to finish, Kirk Franklin is an amazing performer, singer, songwriter and arranger. Two songs from him:
- “Our God is an Awesome God. He reigns” – Rare footage from a live concert – amazing – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTN21C0py3M
- “I Smile” – a call to “Smile for God” put together at the beginning of Lockdown with some of his friends – awesome – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dedqPQYhskM&list=RDa_G6z7ETOl4&index=3
- “Sergio and Rhoda go to The Tabernacle in the Timna Park” – a re-enactment of the Tabernacle built deep in the south of Israel, part of the Timna National Park – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fcUVe6S4vg&t=2s
- “Exodus 40:1-16” (Seven I AMs) – Charlie (Pastor) from the Superior Word Church (approx. an hour) – for those who are really interested in this, Charlie is a font of Hebrew and Christian knowledge. He is so informed and with so much to say, sometimes you have to just put your hat on, hold on, and just go for the ride – there’s a lot in this video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51t1YzXgjpU