Recorded at St. Andrew’s, Congresbury on Sunday 6th September.
Hymns, Songs, Readings and other links for 13th Sunday of Trinity –
9th Sunday of Re-opening – A New Church for a New Society:
“Introduction to John’s Gospel: John’s story of King Jesus.”
Sunday 6th Sept 2020
Key Bible Readings:
John 1:1-18 – John introduces Jesus as the King of the Universe born in human flesh.
If you would like to look up the reading for yourself – or simply click the link: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+1%3A1-18&version=NIVUK
Set Readings for today:
Ezekiel 33:7-11 – God informs Ezekiel he must speak the truth as God’s prophet. He must tell the people the error of their ways. But in a rare insight God shares with Ezekiel why. It’s because God knows that when the people live by other priorities, by other values, and worship other gods, this will lead them not to life but to death, and God wants to save them from the outcome He can foresee.
Romans 13:8-end – Paul, following Jesus, sums up all the Old Testament Commandments in the two that Jesus used, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And love your neighbour as yourself.” He gives this teaching added emphasis by contrasting it as the difference between walking in the way of the Light, which is to walk according to the Spirit, and walking in the way of darkness, which is to follow simply human desires. Don’t delay, says Paul, choose Light.
Matthew 18:15-20 – Jesus gives a similar teaching to that given by God to Ezekiel, this time the disciples and the early Church. The desire here is not for retribution or punishment of the person who has done wrong, but for restoration, both of the individual and the wider community; that the person be shown the error of their ways and be offered the opportunity to change. For God delights in one person who changes. He wants to see nobody lost. God seems to be a passionate believer is what has come to be known as ‘restorative justice.’
Hymns and Songs for 13th Sunday after Trinity:
- “Jesus is King” with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQWP5LYtiZA
- “How great Thou art” – Songs of Praise version with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdE_NKyY_o0&t=24s
- Excellent Acapella version by a young group of young men called “Anthem Lights:” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48i4l1715uc
- “King of Kings, majesty” – with Lyrics: https://youtu.be/SnuRIdNwiwg
- “Meekness and majesty” – by Graham Kendrick with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tK1hQpacs8
- “For the Beauty of the Earth” Songs of Praise version with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOVFvctxv6c
- This is the well-known and much loved Harvest version.
- There is also a wonderful version composed by John Rutter, one of his best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTOfSKXkRa0
- “The Church’s one foundation:” Songs of Praise version with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCqXL3mCwU
- “O Church arise” by Stuart Townend with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXNO-OGUGyU
For Children and Families:
- “He is Lord” – with Lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTbhnTeF4yE
- “Build my Life” by Housefires: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYMjO9mL0Tw
- “My world needs you right now” by Kirk Franklin (2017 Stellar Awards Performance): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WRd4QTTC0
- “Atah Gibor” (You are Mighty) Live – Praises for Israel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv30TWM6Efs
- This recent song (Jan 2020) from this modern Messianic Jewish Christian community, beautifully phrased lyrics.
- “Waymaker” – the original version was composed by an African American artist, Sinach. It has become a modern classic and has been covered by many Christian artists and translated into more than fifty languages. This original version alone has had 156M views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4XWfwLHeLM
Played after the Livestream:
- “King of Kings” by Hillsong United (Passion 2020 version) – just released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avBnNQ44yn4
- “Passion” is an annual large interstate Christian music convention for College students held in big stadiums throughout the US.
- Version with Lyrics so you can sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OnfQpZr030