Service for Epiphany. Recorded live at St. Andrew’s, Congresbury on Sunday 3rd January.
Bible Readings for Epiphany:
Click the links that take you straight to the text (CTRL and “Left Click”) if that helps:
Isaiah 60:1-6 – Isaiah 60:1-6 NIVUK – The glory of Zion – ‘Arise, shine, – Bible Gateway – a great passage of encouragement and of God’s future glory fulfilled, in part, by the coming of the Magi.
Ephesians 3:1-12 – Ephesians 3:1-12 NIVUK – God’s marvellous plan for the – Bible Gateway – a New Testament passage also of encouragement. Paul glimpses that not only non-Jewish people will come to God (Isaiah 60:1-6), but that the message of Jesus was always intended for the whole world, to go out way beyond the Jewish nation – and this message was, and is, life.
Matt 2:1-12 – Matt 2:1-12 NIVUK – The Magi visit the Messiah – After – Bible Gateway – the great passage of the Bible from which we get the Story of the Magi.
Howard preached on these passages in two short videos from home. Please see:
Howard Talk (1) by night: (127) Howard’s First Talk – YouTube
Howard Talk (2) by day: (127) Howard’s Second Talk – YouTube
- “Hark the Herald, angels sing:”
- A live recording by Liz Chappell, Katie Davies (Liz’s daughter) and Trevor and the Boys, Hugh, Toby, and Ollie: (127) Hark the Herald Angels – YouTube
- Also, a Songs of Praise version with Lyrics: (127) Hark! The Herald Angels Sing – YouTube
- “God rest, ye merry gentlemen” – Lyrics Version: (127) God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen – Christendom College – YouTube
- “Good King Wenceslas:
- Traditional version with Lyrics: (127) Good King Wenceslas – Traditional Choir – YouTube
- Cover version with Oud and Riq – playing the traditional Lyre. Works really well: (127) Good King Wenceslas (Vocal, Oud, & Riq Cover) – YouTube
- “See amid the winter’s snow” – cover version by Chet Valley Churches, Norfolk with Lyrics: (127) See, Amid the Winter’s Snow [with lyrics for congregations] – YouTube
- “We three Kings” – cover version also by the Chet Valley Churches, Norfolk with Lyrics: (127) We Three Kings of Orient Are [with lyrics for congregations] – YouTube
- See also the wonderful animated version by Kirk franklin for the film “The Star” for children and young people (details below).
- “The first Nowell” – version by Kings College, Cambridge: (127) King’s College Cambridge 2010 #15 The First Nowell – YouTube
Traditional Hymns and Songs:
- “As with gladness men of old” – Songs of Praise version with Lyrics: (127) As With Gladness Men Of Old – YouTube
- “Brightest and best new sons of the morning” – Songs of Praise version with Lyrics: (127) EPIPHANY-BRIGHTEST AND BEST – YouTube
- “O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness” – Songs of Praise version with Lyrics: (127) CHESTER CATHEDRAL-O WORSHIP THE LORD – YouTube
Contemporary Hymns and Songs:
- “Carol of the Epiphany” – by John Bell and the Iona Community (with Lyrics). Challenges where we will find Jesus in our lives: (127) Carol of the Epiphany – YouTube
- “Light of the world, You stepped down into darkness” – by Tim Hughes. Lyrics version: (127) Light of the World lyric video – YouTube
- “Joy has dawned upon the world” – by Keith and Kirsten Getty. Cover by Boyce Seminary Worship Collective: (127) Joy Has Dawned – Boyce Worship Collective – YouTube
Children and Young People:
- “We three Kings” a version by Kirk Franklin as part of the film “The Star” – great animation fun: (127) Lyric Video – “We Three Kings” by Kirk Franklin | THE STAR – YouTube
- “Song of the Magi” by Anais Mitchell – contrasts the visit of the Magi to Bethlehem two thousand years ago and then also if they visited today:
- Cover version by the “Good Lovelies” in their Church in Toronto, Canada: (127) Good Lovelies – Song Of The Magi (Anaïs Mitchell) – YouTube
- Version filmed in Bethlehem itself. Very moving backdrop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LusdSxgaIMY
- “The Spirit and the Bride say come” by “One for Israel” – an incredible group of young people, Arab and Israeli, who have chosen to live, worship and learn togetehr by forming a new community “Israel College of the Bible:” (127) Jewish & Arab Teen from Israel in Hebrew, Arabic & English Worship – YouTube
- “This Train” version by Ruby Turner and Jools Holland (part of the 2010 “New Year’s Eve” celebrations – video visual quality has been massively improved since then). Great gospel song about the energy and drive of taking the Message of Jesus out: (127) Ruby Turner – This train – YouTube
- “The Chosen” – Episode “The Shepherds” is the Christmas Special that started this worldwide phenomenon. “The Chosen” can be obtained for free, either via YouTube (simply type in “The Chosen” or via an App, which can be downloaded to your Smartphone or Tablet.
Its all very exciting. Details of how to find “The Shepherds” on YouTube: (127) The Chosen: The Shepherd (Pilot Episode) – YouTube
Films and DVDs for Children and Young People:
- “The Star” – a wonderful; animated film which is like a fusion between the Nativity Story and character and humour of the film “Shrek.” The greatest story told from the point of view of the Donkey. Great fun. Available from Amazon (DVD) and to rent from Amazon Prime.