Bible Readings for Epiphany 1: The Baptism of Jesus:
Click the links that take you straight to the text (CTRL and “Left Click”) if that helps:
Genesis 1:1-5 – Genesis 1:1-5 NIVUK – The beginning – In the beginning God – Bible Gateway – the very beginning of the Bible indicating how Baptism is symbolic not just of individual “new birth” but in Jesus’ case a “new birth” of all Creation.
Acts 19:1-7 – Acts 19:1-7 NIVUK – Paul in Ephesus – While Apollos was at – Bible Gateway – Paul in this passage clearly makes a distinction between “the baptism of John” and “the baptism of Jesus:” one for repentance and knowledge about God, the other to enter into relationship and to share in His life.
Mark 1:4-11 – Mark 1:4-11 NIVUK – And so John the Baptist appeared in the – Bible Gateway – this short passage is full of imagery and symbolism linking together so many Old Testament passages of hopes and dreams. At its hear however, is the idea that because “the one who will come after me” (words John himself uses) was the foretold Messiah – the link is that the word “Messiah” technically means “the Anointed One,” the Priest, the one who stands as a ‘bridge’ between the people and God. Therefore, because Jesus is received into sonship and has the Holy Spirit bestowed upon Him by God, so too have we.
Remarkable. And we will be looking into what this means today in our worship.
Traditional Hymns and Songs:
- “Spirit of God” (The Skye Boat Song):
– cover version by Spatz auf dem Dach (simple clean female folk solo) with Lyrics: (137) Spirit of God (The Skye Boat Hymn) – Lyric-Video | Spatz auf dem Dach – YouTube
- Instrumental version with lyrics with countryside backdrop: (137) Spirit of God, unseen as the wind – YouTube
- “Will you come and follow me if I but call your name” (The Summons): by John Bell (Iona Community)
– Cover version by St Michael’s Church, Verwood in Dorset with lyrics: (137) Will you come and follow me – YouTube
3. “Guide me O Thou great Jehovah” (Cwm Rhondda – Guide me O Thou great Redeemer):
– cover version by the Morriston Orpheus Welsh Male Voice Choir, very moving and powerful: (137) Cwm Rhondda (Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah) – Côr OrpheusTreforys/ Morriston Orpheus Choir – YouTube
- Songs of Praise version with Lyrics from the Albert Hall: (137) CWM RHONDDA GUIDE ME, O THOU GREAT REDEEMER – YouTube
- “Come let us sing of a wonderful love”:
- Wonderful piano version of this hymn with countryside backdrop and lyrics: (137) come let us sing of a wonderful love – YouTube
- Sung version from Westminster Central Hall Choir: (137) Come let us sing of a wonderful love – YouTube
- “All over the world the Spirit is moving” – cover by Squirrel 24 – version with lyrics. As Dinah says, “Impossible not to feel cheered up by doing a jig, sing, clap along with – singing accompanied by jaunty brass band, great rhythm.” Link: (137) All Over The World The Spirit Is Moving – YouTube
- “It is well with my soul” – great version of this good old Sankey hymn, speaking of accepting God’s love into my life. Fits very well as a musical accompaniment with making the “Covenant Promise.” With lyrics: (137) It Is Well With My Soul – YouTube
- “You Say” by Lauren Daigle – now over 190M views – one of the most successful songs not only of the Christian world but of YouTube itself:
- Cover by Melody Joy Cloud – a remarkable young lady and worship leader in her Church. (See her video below for a further insight into her experiences of finding who she was and is as part of her auditions with “American Idol”). Link to song: (137) YOU SAY // Lauren Daigle (acoustic cover) – YouTube
- Original version by Lauren Daigle (lyrics version): (137) Lauren Daigle – You Say (Lyric Video) – YouTube
- “Who am I” originally by Cast Crowns. Speaks of trusting in God’s promise of His love and our willingness then to submit:
- Cover version by MIC (Music In Christ) great simple acoustic version: (137) Who Am I by Casting Crowns (M.I.C. Acoustic Cover) – YouTube
- Original version by Casting Crowns with lyrics and photo still video behind: (137) Who Am I – Casting Crowns (w/ lyrics) – YouTube
- “Fix You” originally by Cold Play. Amazing cover by “Fearless Soul” – as good, if not better than the original: (137) Try not to cry when you listen to this cover of FIX YOU by Coldplay – YouTube
- “Baptized” Zach Williams, the earthy Country Gospel singer and worship leader, describes what it was like for him to reflect on his experience of baptism: (137) Zach Williams – “Baptized” Rescue Story Tour Live Session – YouTube
- “Something in the water” – by Carrie Underwood singing about the change that she went through by discovering a new life in Christ. Lyrics version: (137) Something in the Water- Carrie Underwood (lyrics) – YouTube
- There are two good “Sergio and Rhoda” videos about Baptism from a Jewish perspective:
- The first is from “Yardenit,” the “official Baptism site” for Israel, and gives an indication of how personal and powerful a person’s Baptism can be. Link: (137) Baptized in the Jordan River – YouTube
- The second is from “Qasr el Yahud,” the most likely historical site of where Jesus was baptised, only recently re-opened after the clearing of mines. Speaks of the layers of Old Testament meaning of why the Baptism of Jesus needed to take place here: (137) Baptism of Jesus in Jordan River – YouTube
13. Tabernacle: A third very good video that helps to explain how these two videos and their meaning go together – see “Sergio and Rhoda Tabernacle of Moses Replica in Timna Park,” way down south where Solomon had his copper mines. Jesus is the High Priest who not only enters the Holy of Holies (beyond the curtain) but who tears the curtain in two so we all can enter the Holy of Holies with Him and so receive sonship and daughtership from God. See Link: (137) Tabernacle of Moses Replica in Timna Park – YouTube
- “Melody Joy Cloud – her experience with American Idol” remarkable young lady and witness to her faith: (137) MY AMERICAN IDOL EXPERIENCE (w/pictures) – YouTube
- “The Chosen” – Episode “The Shepherds” is the Christmas Special that started this worldwide phenomenon. “The Chosen” can be obtained for free, either via YouTube (simply type in “The Chosen” or via an App, which can be downloaded to your Smartphone or Tablet.
Its all very exciting. Details of how to find “The Shepherds” on YouTube: (127) The Chosen: The Shepherd (Pilot Episode) – YouTube