New Creation Churches Building Better Community


On the North side are the graceful pillars of the North aisle. They are in Early English style, with small shafts clustered around a central core. The arches are probably fourteenth century work. The corbels under the mouldings of these arches – from the West end of the Nave they depict two peasants, a lady and a knight

The arches of the South aisle also date from the fourteenth century. Of the original thirteenth century shafts supporting the South pillars only the bases remain. The purely decorative Purbeck marble shafts were added in 1856. They mimic the Early English style and so complement the North pillars opposite.

The Chancel Arch above the Screen is much lower than the Nave. The Wagon-roof of the Nave was raised to its present height, and ceiled, in the fifteenth century. The clerestory windows, above the arches in the Nave, were added at the same time.

The present roof of the Nave was extensively restored and rebuilt in 1951. All of the carved wooden bosses are original and have been carefully cleaned and restored.

The ribs supporting them however had to be replaced at that time. The centre line of bosses have finely worked faces.

The stone corbels supporting the roof timbers are particularly interesting. The pained and swollen faces of these little red and green figures show them to be suffering from toothache and headaches.

They commemorate William Button (Bishop of Bath and Wells 1248-64) who was famed for his healing work, especially with facial aches and pains. The corbels are original and painted in their medieval colours.

The old pews of the Nave and aisles were removed in 1880 and replaced by the present ones. Remains of the bases, which once supported oil lamps, can be seen in some pews. The whole church was repaired and re-floored at about the same time. The Pulpit and Lectern Eagle are also Victorian; the former being presented in 1856 by the then Vicar, and the latter purchased at a cost of £41 by public subscription to mark Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887. An eagle is the most common form of lectern, its outstretched wings symbolising the Gospel being carried all over the world.
On the floor in front of the Screen are two carved pieces of stone, one fan-shaped and the other hexagonal; these were taken from the North aisle chapel.