On 12th April 1794 the Bishop of Bath & Wells registered a house in Banwell as a Place of Worship for Protestant Dissenters. The first Methodist Chapel in Banwell is the existing Institute in East St., now a private dwelling. The site of the present chapel was purchased on 12th November 1861, with the church being registered for worship on 21st October 1862. The major benefactor was Hebden Coome a local preacher for 64 years who died in 1901. On the 10th September 1902 approval was given for the chapel to be extended and the erection of the Sunday School building. Major refurbishment of the present chapel took place in 1962 during the ministry of Rev Clifford Sutton.